Tish Boyle Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
This past Sunday was Mother's Day. I told my hubs that I wanted a homecooked breakkie. No cereal pls.. No peanut butter sandwiches. blahhh.. So, my hubs made scrambled eggs.. ahem.. using his fav Gordon Ramsey recipe. heated up baked beans and toasted some bread.. They were yummy... the scrambled eggs of cos hehehe.. I was very grateful cos my hubs doesn't cook that often.. well hardly or won't cook... one of the two .. So when he made breakkie for us you know it took a lot of effort... so my dear hubs.. I am expecting dinner next year. hehehe
Happy mother's day to all .. dont u just love mother's day.. where u think u dont hv to do anything but when u finally feel like helping out.. u felt as tho u hv done something big?? hahaha.. maybe its just me.. i know not every mothers behaves like me ahaks.. i woke up as per normal.. cleaned our house and even wiped down all the sliding doors and windows in the living/dining area.. i wasnt really in the mood to go anywhere yesterday since on sat we were out all day with mom and dad.. took them to little india for brekkie.. took them to IKEA.. went to Arab St and sultan mosque for zohor prayers.. we later went straight to our fav coffee place to chill and by the time we were done with coffee it was almost six.. bought take-away food for them and us and got home in time for magrib.. u see.. that outing wasnt really meant for mothers day celebration.. we take them out pretty often and we really enjoy doing so.. u dont need mothers day to prove to them that u really care.. no flowers or pressies can ever replace a mothers love.. to show them gratitude and love.. to spend time with them is what that matters most.. so to my dear mom.. Hajjah Juriyah Yusof.. Happy mothers day! <3
Anyway.. this wasnt what my hubs baked for me lol. I had baked it late sat night after i got myself a box of buttermilk.. had wanted to bake this cake for the longest time and finally when the chocolate crave hit me.. i baked it and ah huh.. it was indeed a wowza.. just like what Ju said in her post.. she has baked it on several occasions and since i am a big fan of Tish Boyle.. i trust what she said! Bake it ladies! bake it for ur kids... bake it for ur mom .. bake it for ur sisters and friends... i am pretty sure it's gonna be a big hit!
Makes 6 individual cakes.
Storage: in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Special Equipment: one 6-cake Bundt-lette pan
1 cup (4oz/114g) cake flour (plain flour is fine too)
1/2 cup (1.6oz/46g) Dutch-processed (alkalized) cocoa powder*
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks/6oz/170g) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups (8.8oz/250g) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
2 tablespoons (30ml) Kahlua (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 ounces (113g) finely chopped bittersweet chocolate - i used 70% Pierre Marcolini
(I used Pierre Marcolini.. ty Arlin for this gift! i finally baked something with this dark chocolate.. its delish!!)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Generously grease the interior of a 6-cake Bundt-lette pan
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed for 2 minutes, until very creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes, until the mixture is well blended and light. At medium speed, beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk, Kahlua (or rum), and vanilla extract. If your mixer has a splatter shield attachment, attach it now. At low speed, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in three additions, alternating it with the buttermilk cream mixture in two additions, and mixing just until blended. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and stir in the finely chopped chocolate or miniature semisweet morsels. Scrape the batter into the prepared cake molds, dividing it evenly and smoothing the tops.
- Bake the cakes for 25 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean. Cool the cakes in the pan set on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cakes onto the rack and cool completely.
Note: I used 7" round cake pan and bake it for an hr and ten minutes.. i place aluminium foil 20mins into baking time to prevent my cake fm burning top.
... and here are a few pics taken at little India.. Sonia loves Apam!
Sonia n Nyai!
Bef i go i wanna thank Herdafitri for ordering kek lapis legit for mothers day.. hope both ur MIL and mom love it.. to Suzy who came fm Shah Alam with her mom for a mothers day gateaway in Sg.. thank you for ordering kek lapis legit prunes and macs.. it was nice to meet both of u and ur best friend fm JB.. hv a safe flight back home yah..
To my dear Hairi.. ty for the wish son.. mama appreciated it very very much.. good luck in ur final exams this week.. mama wishes u all the best! to little Sonia who wished me "happy valentines day" instead hahaha.. ty dear.. both hubs and I are pretty excited abt her upcoming school dance performance at RELC hotel this wk!