Every single morning right after dropping Sonia off to school .. both hubs and I will head straight to Starbucks where we will meet up with Jens .. The whole quick coffee session will usually last for half an hr bef both of them start working... so yesterday while having our coffee.. i overheard these two men talking abt what they had prepared for their wifey on mothers day.. Jens told hubs that he had prepared a quiche for his family while hubs talked abt his infamous scrabbled eggs and out of the blue.. just like that - hubs turned to me and asked me why i hv never made him one since quiche is his all time fav.. i of cos told him off by saying - "if i wanna bake it for u.. let me do it cos I wanna do it.. dont ask me to do it ok".. there!
So with that in mind.. i decided to surprise hubs with his fav salmon and spinach quiche.. had it for dinner and oh boy.. lemme tell ya.. someone felt like hes in heaven hehehe.. the quiche is delicious.. hubs kept on praising it.. told me to keep a slice in the fridge so that he can have it again later.. awwww... am happy when his tummy is happy :o)
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
1 small onion - very finely chopped
a pack of smoke salmon - i used 100g of prime smoke salmon
3 eggs beaten
425ml milk and single cream (50:50)
75g Gruyere cheese, finely grated - i used cheddar cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
- Place a baking tray in the oven and preheat the oven to 220C.
- To make the pastry, sieve the flour and salt into ur food processor. Cut butter into cubes. gv it a few pulse until well blended. Add egg yolk and continue to pulse till it form smooth dough.. remove and knead lightly on a lightly floured surface. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- Roll the pastry out into a circle on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 20cm greased tart tin, abt 4cm deep.
- Heat oil.. stir fry onion till brown.. add spinach fry for five minutes over a gentle heat in a nonstick frying pan. Spoon into the tart tin... add in ur smoke salmon.
- Using ur mixer beat the eggs .. add in ur milk/cream, then add most of the cheese with some salt and black pepper and beat again. Pour mixture over salmon and onion/spinach and scatter the remining cheese on top
- Place the quiche on a baking tray and bake for 10mins. Lower the temp to 190C and continue baking for another 30 to 35 mins, until the filling is just set. Allow to cool slightly bef cutting. Serve the quiche warm or cold.
Anyway earlier today I had to drive Sonia to RELC for her dance rehearsal.. managed to squeeze a little time for a quick coffee bef groceries shopping and am back home now.. hubs just called me and told me that we will be heading up to KL on Sunday.. gulp - ponteng again? :o/
Source: The Ultimate Mixer Cookbook (got this cookbook when i bought Mr Aid!)