Bolu Sarang Semut aka Bolu Caramel
I shud hv rested but typical me.. i usually end up whipping something for dessert.. last night I had wanted to bake a cake which i hv been eyeing for a week now but decided to forgo the idea since i had to bake for an order .. an order that i had almost missed until sis Nasyita smsed me right after subuh.. gulp.. anyway all ends well.. i managed to bake it and sent it over after Magrib..
So with what happened earlier.. i decided to try out this simple recipe.. Bolu sarang semut (ants nest) .. an old school cake.. a cake which hs for the longest time not been in my fav list to bake.. so why bake it when i know that i would not like it?? hehe honestly?? cos i trust her recipe.. knew i would be able to get myself to hv a bite and so i did... hubs liked it.. i am converted and next person on the list is my mom.. i will let her hv a taste and hope that she will like it as much as we did..
While in the oven.. the aroma of butter and caramel was so overwhelming that Sonia kept on running in and out of our kitchen.. i had to slice it while it was still warmish since hubs was eager to hv a bite!
400ml hot water
5 pcs kaffier lime leaves - sliced thinly
2 pcs pandan leaves - sliced thinly
(both are optional..)
150g condense milk
150g butter - melted
1 tbsp baking soda
- Heat sugar in skillet until browned (do not overcook or ur cake will taste bitter).. lower heat, add hot water. Allow to boil till sugar dissolves. Add kaffir lime leaves and pandan. Cook until fragrant. Remove and let cool. Strain and discard the leaves. Measure out 400 ml. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180'C. Prepare a bundt pan (diameter 22 cm), greased and sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy and smooth. Stir in the flour little by little alternating with caramel syrup, stirring until blended and smooth.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and stir well. Add melted butter. Stir well.
- Lastly add baking soda. Stir well. Pour batter immediately into bundt pan and bake in oven until cooked (about 45 minutes).
- Remove from pan, let cool and cut into pieces.
Ty sis Nasyita for ur support hehehe