Fruitful week - Durian Cotton Cake!
Good afternoon peeps! sorry to hv kept u waiting.. i have been baking macs for this wkend orders since half past six.. Alhamdullilah today no hiccups.. i think i had like maybe 25pcs of mac shells that were cracked out of my 750 odd mac shells.. so thats good - to me that is.. i am no expert so to see a few cracks are better than to hv lots of cracks.. no?? hehe
Yesterday was a relaxing day.. err well except for one or two disappointments.. oh well.. sometimes we can do so much but if they choose not to listen.. then it is out of our league to control the situation or to help.. we later went out for a couple of hrs .. went to a few bakery supply shops to stock up my baking pantry.. had coffee at our fav coffee place and also to moms...
Anyway this Durian Cotton Cake was prepared last night after we got home fm our coffee escapade .. didnt want to bake any complicated cake as i knew i would be busy today.. this 'everyday' type of cake is worth baking especially when u see ur other half keep on munching on it non stop.. tastes so so so yummy.. almost like eating Japanese cotton cheesecake.. the sweetness.. the aroma and the taste of durian is just subtle.. not overpowering at all.. super super soft that i hv difficulty slicing it eventho i used my typical cake knife.. eventho i kept my cake in my fridge for a night.. never mind.. bottom line is.. we love it to bits!!
Original recipe is fm Rachmah Satyawati.. ty ty ty mbak for sharing this wonderful recipe!
60g butter - i used unsalted butter
75ml of milk - i used fresh milk
6 egg yolks - whisk lightly (use a fork)
150g durian meat - pureed
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Warm milk on low heat (not till boiling state) then pour into beaten egg yolks, mix well, set aside. Keep it warm.
2. Boil butter, turn off the heat, and add in sifted flour, stirring until blended or till batter is smooth.. add in pureed durian meat.. stir well and immediately add in whipped egg/milk mixture into it, Mix both mixture using a whisk / spatula until blended, set aside.
3. Whisk egg white with salt.. once u see bubbles add in sugar a little at a time till soft peak.. add in lemon juice and continue to whisk for a few second - (do not whisk ur egg white till stiff peak ok)
4. Take 1/4 part of ur egg white .. fold it into ur egg yolk mixture.. mix it gently.. pour mixture back into beaten egg whites.. fold in gently as to prevent ur mixture to deflate. Add in rum bakar or vanilla extract if u like.. (i didnt use any).
5. Pour batter into ur UNGREASED 8" baking pan.. bake it using bain marie method in a preheated oven of 155C for half an hr or till its 3/4 done.. lower ur temp to 150C and continue to bake for a further 35 mins..
Have a great mid week peeps!