It didnt take me long to think of what cake to bake for sis Wati's kids.. all of them are chiffon cake lovers anyway so instead of baking em pandan chiffon.. i thought i shud baked them something different.. dark chocolate chiffon was an obvious choice.. i thought to myself.. kids.. u gv them any kinda chocolate cake and they will definately eat it like there is no tomorrow .. well thats exactly what i did.. yesterday morning the first thing i did was to bake this cake for sis Wati's kids.. and why u may ask?? hehhe well i had asked Shiela to babysit Sonia again in the evening for a couple of hours so that hb and i could go on a movie date.. yep yep i think we are back on track again after 4yrs of missing out on movie world.. this time around we watched.. The Tourist.. wud rate it as 4* simply cos Johnny Depp is hilarious hehhe.. he is a bloody good actor i must say!
Anyway back to this chiffon cake.. after we got home fm our movie date.. i told Shiela to bring it back home for the rest to munch and today i got to know that the one that has been munching non stop.. for brekkie, lunch and dinner was actually not the kids.. but the mother of the kids aka sis Wati!! tsk tsk.. u better watch ur diet sis! hehe
So ok heres the simple yet pleasurable recipe of this chiffon cake.. to me the taste was well just like any other chiffon cake hehehe .. the only difference is that this cake has the combination of cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate which makes the cake more dense and somehow rich..
100g low protein flour - cake flour
15g cocoa powder - i used valrhona
1/2 tsp baking powder
50g Dark cooking chocolate - I used 64% valrhona
60g corn oil - i used canola
1 tsp chocolate paste - i used black forest paste
7 egg white
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
This is my way of doing it.. u can of cos follow the way Inge Desiree did it too..
1. Preheat oven 170C
2. Heat milk till warm and pour it over dark chocolate.. stir- set aside
3. Whisk egg yolks and sugar till sugar dissolved and colour turn pale.
4. Add in oil, melted chocolate and chocolate paste.
5. Fold in sifted flour a little at a time till well combined
6. In another bowl, whisk egg white, cream of tartar and salt till bubbly
7. Add sugar in 3 parts till soft/hard peak - like shaving cream
8. Pour 1/3 of egg white to chocolate batter.. fold in gently.
9. Pour chocolate batter into the rest of egg white and continue to fold in gently
10.Pour batter into chiffon pan (i used 21cm) and baked it for abt 60mins
Source: Soft Cake Moist Cake - SEDAP