Orange Hawflakes Layered Cake
Alrighty peeps.. here we go again.. Monday followed by tuesday, wednesday, thursday and ohhhh how i wished today was friday already so that i can call my 'babysitter' to look after Sonia.. we didnt get to go on a movie date last friday but thats ok.. i enjoyed my princess cake project very much..
Talking abt princess cake.. Sonia now no longer wants a princess cake for her bday but instead she wants me to bake her a merry-go-round cake.. gulp! eversince our last Europe trip, my girl has developed the liking of merry go round.. u dont want to know how many times she was on it while we were in Europe.. oh boy.. u dont want to know lol.. thank goodness the one in Euro disney was paid for when we got the entrace ticket so at least her papa didnt hv to fork out 2 to 3 euros per ride!
So anyway this cake was baked last friday.. i didnt get the chance to even take pics till yesterday evening.. the only two pieces that u see here were the only pieces that were left lol.. i gave it out as soon as i sliced it and the rest were eaten by hb who is a hawflakes fan..
300g butter - i used unsalted Anchor
150g caster sugar
14 eggs yolks
5 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
1tsp vanilla essence
150g Caster sugar
7 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
180g Hong Kong flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp orange colouring
2 tsp orange paste
10 packets of dried tamarind hawflakes
- Preheat oven at 180c for 15 minutes. Prepare a baking tray 8x8
- Ingredients A: Combine butter, castor sugar, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla essence in a mixing bowl. Beat on high speed for 10 minutes until creamy.
- Add in egg yolks one at a time while beating until well blended. Pour butter mixture into a large bowl, set aside.
- Ingredients B: In another bowl whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Add caster sugar a little at a time and continue to whisk for 5 minutes till medium/stiff peak
- Ingredients C: Add in sifted hk flour and baking powder into butter mixture.. fold in gently to combine.
- Pour the batter is egg white. Mix until evenly mixed. Divide into 2 parts. One part is mixed with ingredients D and one with original color.
- Weigh ur batter and divide it by the nbr of layers u want ur cake to be.. mine weigh abt 74g each layer. Bake layer by layer.. alternating between orange and plain batter using upper fire (add hawflakes on every orange layer .. 7mins each layer or until golden brown.. on each orange layer u use abt 15pcs of hawflakes)
- Bake last layer using upper and lower heat for 10mins.. if ur top gets brown too easily.. cover top with aluminium foil.
The taste of this cake is much better than my previous hawflakes layered cake that i baked.. hmm honestly i am not a big fan of hawflakes and will only bake if hb requests for it.. the best part is that i get to keep on trying new recipes each time he requests for one.. ty Cik Wan for sharing this recipe.. my food critic gave me a 3 thumbs up..