Yep yep thats what my little Sonia has been calling this pandan layer cake.. shes so so funny.. shes so into green these couple of weeks.. the moment she saw me slicing this cake.. she said to me with a wide eyes..." uuuhhhhh mamaaaaa... greennn... Ben 10 cakeeeeeeee!!" .. hahaha
I love green.. i remembered very well the time i decorated my whole house with shades of baby green and pink.. eventho it was more than a decade ago.. i cud still remember it very well.. i was so so into english country that my house was featured in one of the top home magazines here.. Home Sweet Home (HSH) to be exact.. that was the proudest moment of my life! not cos i felt proud of the things i had in my home.. its more abt what i had achieved in my skills of home decorating... most of my nick nacks i got fm the US.. ohhh how i miss hunting for it during my several trips to the US ..
For some reason my old home was chosen and let me tell u one thing.. it wasnt easy cos it took them the whole day doing it.. taking photos and all that.. for me i didnt really care eventho my house was full of strangers.. i was too busy baking cookies for them and entertaining the editor and the rest of his crew.. it was good fun.. i love english country and my passion for it has never changed eventho right now our house is based on simple colonial style.. hb is not a big fan of english country and anything that is associated with flowers is a no no.... he doesnt like anything cluttered and even our bedsheets dont hv any flowery motif.. bedsheet has to be simple and has to be white with bold coloured borders.. threadcount has to be 800 and abv.. hehhe.. thats how fussy he is when it comes to bedsheets!
Anyhow better not complaint too much.. i love the way i decorate my home now eventho its not english country .. i still get to live in a house that is so easy to maintain compared to bef where i had to dust all the nick nacks every single day. I go to the nursery every weekend to get fresh flowers..ohhh i love fresh flowers alot.. not a big fan of roses .. i do love lilies tho.. i love all things green and white and pink..
So ok lets move on to this layer cake.. eeek i didnt realise i hv been blaberring abt house decorating in my food blog hahahha... i baked it last night bef we went to visit mom and nyai.. i gave mom and lyn 3/4 of the cake.. i kept 1/4 for my photo shoot and only tasted it this morning.. if u wanna know how it tastes like.. imagine eating pandan butter cake hahahha.. i loikeeee!
450g butter - I used golden churn
200g caster sugar
21 egg yolks
4 tbsp condensed milk
160g caster sugar
10 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
270g Hong Kong flour
4 tbsp coconut milk powder (KARA)
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp green colouring - I used powder type for making macarons
2 tsp pandan paste or emulco
1. Using a stand mixer.. whisk butter, sugar and condense milk till fluffy.. add egg yolks one at a time and continue to whisk till well combined.. set aside
2. In another bowl.. whisk egg white and cream of tartar till bubbly.. add in sugar a little at a time and continue to whisk on high speed till it turns soft/hard peak.
3. Sieve ingredients C and add to ingredients A - (i used mixer to mix it using low speed).. Once mix.. fold in egg white mixture
4. Weigh and divide batter into two equal part.. one part add in pandan paste and green colour.. the other remain plain.
5. Greased 8x8 cake pan and start ur journey of baking 26 layers of batter.. standing and checking and looking at ur cake till u bake ur last layer hahahha
6. Temp that i am using is 175C.. each layer weigh 76g.. grill (upper fire) each layer for 5 mins.. dont forget to spread melted butter on every layer and also bake last layer using upper and lower fire for 15 mins (7 mins into baking cover ur pan with aluminium foil so as to avoid ur cake turns too dark)
So thats it peeps.. I really hv to go cos i need to get some things ready bef our dinner appt.. tonight i will hv to stay up a little longer cos i wanna bake congo bars for my kaki's in concorde hotel..
See you in KL aunties!!!