Cocoa Mocha Layer Cake
I did it!! I used up all my 30 eggs.. besides condensed milk pound cake, i made two steamed fruit cakes.. i made durian pudding for sis Wati and today I baked this layer cake.. I hv kept all my baking utensil and hv kept all my butter in my pantry fridge.. not gonna do anymore baking cos i am done! hehhe
Actually i fell sick late monday night and i was really down yesterday.. i had a terrible headache and at the same time i had this irritating flu.. was worried as we will be going to a snowy country and i dont want my flu to get any worse.. so after a day of resting.. i am feeling much better.. there is still sign of flu but it isnt as bad.. I had to finish up my ironing yesterday night cos after we come home fm France we will be heading to Penang and KL soo its not a matter of whether i hv any choice.. oh well.. its ok.. its all done now .. I hv packed our stuff and i am ready to go hehe
So ok back to this cake.. i decided on this cake simply cos it doesnt use much butter and eggs.. I must say that i was surprised to find out that this cake is full of flavor, soft and moist eventho the recipe only calls for 14 egg yolks.. ty Kak Wan for sharing this wonderful recipe which I adapted a bit.. now this is what u call.. lapis economy hehehe :o)
14 egg yolks
5 tbsp condense milk
7 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
160g Hong Kong flour
1 tsp baking powder
a) 1/4 tsp yellow colouring + 1 tsp vanilla essence
b) 1 tbsp mocha emulco - I used mocha latte paste
c) 1/2 tbsp chocolate emulco (I used BF paste) + 2 tbsp cocoa powder (valrhona) + 3 tbsp hot water - mix everything into paste
Preheat oven 175C for 15 mins.. greased 8x8" pan
1. A : Whisk butter, sugar and condensed milk till white and creamy. Add in egg yolks one at a time and continue to whisk till well combined - set aside.
3. B : In another bowl.. whisk egg white with cream of tartar till bubbly.. add in sugar a little at a time till soft peak.
4. C : Fold in carefully sifted flour, horlicks and baking powder into A..
5. Once mixed add in B and mix till well blended.
6. Divide batter into 3 portions.. one part add in D(a).. Add in D(c) mixture into the 2nd portion and lastly add in D(b) into the last portion.
7. Every layer weigh 76g and takes 7 mins to bake using upper fire (grill).
8. You know the typical procedure right.. grill all the chocolate portion first.. each layer u hv to press it and brush it with melted butter. once ur done with chocolate portion u continue with mocha portion and lastly u use yellow portion..
9. Bake last layer using upper and lower fire for 15 mins.
So ok ladies.. i am not too sure if i hv the time to post anything bef our late night flight.. hope everyone stays healthy.. hv a good weekend and see u ladies in Dusseldorf, Germany..
Note: Oh bef i forget.. I am sorry if i hv missed anyones' email or even comments on my old post.. will try to answer em bef i leave..