Mocha Marble Cheesecake, A birthday, A wake and an open house...
Sorry dear hb.. i didnt even post a special entry on ur bday.. time was not on our side amd I am just glad that u enjoyed the simple cake that I baked for u..
Hb turned 32 last friday.. we had a simple affair.. Sonia sang papa a birthday song.. ate the cake that I baked and went out for dinner.. we got home just in time for me to bake suji and went to bed as early as i could cos i knew that I would be one super busy woman during the weekend... that night we also got to know fm mom that one of our close relatives, Wak 'Misai' had just passed on.. hb went to the wake on sat afternoon right after we got home fm marketing.
We did Hari Raya open house yesterday and invited friends and relatives to our place.. hb invited a few of his ex German School classmates and also his working colleagues, Hairi invited some of his friends over too and the house was filled with ppl as early as half past 11 eventho our invitation only started at 12pm.. I was still in my pyjamas when we got a phone call that one of our guests was already at the guard house asking for our house nbr! thank goodness by half past 11.. the food was ready.. I boiled lontong aka nasi empit, cooked lodeh, rendang, sambal goreng, ayam masak merah, satay goreng, curry puff, mee soto.. we also had sambal sotong n bagedil that was prepared by Lyn and her MIL cos I simply cant take the load of cooking everything myself.. I didnt even get to sleep the whole night cos at 3am while waiting for my rendang to cook.. I decided to prepare my chocolate truffle and chocolate macarons.. silly old me.. knowing exactly that I might end up staying up the whole night preparing it!
Anyway long story short.. we had like abt 80 - 100 guest.. maybe more at our place yesterday.. everyone got to eat.. everyone stayed long and it was one enjoyable get-together ever.. I was very very tired.. no sleep and only went to bed at 1am this morning after cleaning up my place.. worth every bit of my time cos all my guests enjoyed the food that I had prepared and to see all of our guests eating more than 2 servings and complimenting the food and desert that was prepared was such a blessing.. thank you all for coming.. ty sis Lyn&co and also hb for helping me out..(we totally forgot to take photos till it was after 5pm.. bugger!)
This is the cheesecake recipe that I baked on hb's bday..
300g digestive biscuit
20g cocoa powder
150g melted butter
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder (Nescafe) OR
2 cups of chocolate biscuit
100g melted butter
1 1 /2 tsp instant coffee powder
Cream Cheese fillings:
700 gm. Cream Cheese
50 gm. melted chocolate (i used valrhona)
1 tsp. instant coffee powder + 2 Tbsp. hot water
100 gm. fine sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Essence
(1) For biscuit base: Mix all the ingredients together and press into an 8" springform pan. Press evenly over the bottom and about halfway up the sides of the pan. Chill in the refrigerator till the biscuit base is harden.
(2) To make the fillings, cream the cream cheese until just smooth about 30 seconds, then add in the sugar and beat till smooth. Add in vanilla essence and add 1 egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape the bowl and add in the second egg and continue beating till smooth.
(3) Scoop out 1 cup of the cheese filling, add in melted chocolate and dissolved coffee powder.
(4) Pour the plain batter in the prepared biscuit base and smooth the top.
(5) Spoon pools of chocolate filling over the plain batter, making sure to leave some plain batter showing. Jiggle the pan gently to level the batter. Marble the batters with a chopstick (swirl) until the colours are intermingled but not blended.
(6) Place pan in the oven (baine marie / steam bake) for one hour or till cooked.
(7) Let cheese cake cool in the oven and then chill it before serving.
Note: You can also pour half of the plain mixture into the pan, then scoop some chocolate mixture on top then pour the remainin mixture on top then the remaining chocolate mixture on top. Then swirl for marble effect.