Apple Compote Financiers
Not much to talk abt.. Hairi is back cos tomorrow he has an early appt with his doc.. remember a few months ago when he decided to do a minor surgery on his finger just so he could get mc?? well after a few months. he now has to go through another minor surgery to take the metal rod out of his finger and i think its not gonna be a long kinda surgery.. will hv to ask his dad to send him to the hospital first and hopefully I will be able to be there bef lunch so that i can visit my grandma first bef Hairi's done with his surgery.
I will hv to take Sonia to her doc too for her hepatitis A booster jab.. shes not gonna be a happy girl come tomorrow cos the moment she steps her feet into the clinic she knows exactly what shes gonna get lol..
Anyway I am not too sure if I will be updating my blog tomorrow as its gonna be a fully packed day for us.. a visit to Sonia's doc, hospital and we hv to attend a dinner party later in the evening.. so ok enough rambling.. lets talk abt these lovelies.. aint they the prettiest?? the thing abt financiers.. they can be so so pretty no matter what u decide to hv as toppings.. this is the first time that I'm using apple as topping and I decided to prepare an apple compote.. surprisingly not only does it give out a super rich flavor .. I felt like as tho I am killing two birds with one stone cos u can use the syrup as glazing too..
Oh u can of cos use any of ur fav muffin recipe and add apple compote as topping but i preferred to bake an apple compote financier today simply bec apple+spices goes well in financiers= almonds=reminds u of apples.. get it?? errrr
Apple compote slices
5 medium (600-650 gr) apples, cored, thinly sliced
400 gr water
200 gr caster sugar
3 cardamom pods, coarsely crushed
3 star anises
1 cinnamon stick
1. In a large saucepan, bring apple slices, water, sugar, and all spices to boil over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer until apple slices are tender, approximately 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and drain.
(Do not throw away the simmering liquid when you drain the apple slices. Reduce them until thick and syrupy and use as glaze.)
Financiers recipe u can get it fm here and here.
You can use this muffins recipe if u like to bake an apple compote muffin
80 gr self-raising flour
30 gr plain flour
10 gr brown sugar
30 gr caster sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 lemon, zest of
30 ml vegetable oil
60 ml milk
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 6-hole muffin pan.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together wet ingredients in another bowl.
3. Make a hole in the middle of dry ingredients mixture and pour the wet ingredients.
4. Stir until just moistened. Spoon batter on prepared muffin pan.
5. Working quickly, arrange apple slices decoratively on top of each muffin. Bake for 25 minutes.
6. Let cool on a wire rack before glazing.
Note: if you don't glaze them, you might want to increase the brown sugar/caster sugar amount a bit.