CMG Steamed Fruit Cake
I woke up yesterday thinking abt this cake... Sis Wati told me the night bef that theres someone who sells steamed fruit cake for $35 (10x10).. to me thats cheap considering u hv to steam this cake for 4hrs! Anyway I hv always used the same recipe over the years.. hb is a super big fan of my steamed fruit cake but I thought i shud gv other recipes a try.. just to see if there is any other good recipes around..
To be honest.. I hv had this recipe in my folder for like more than 2yrs.. never had the urge to try it out tho.. probably cos I found the recipe that suits hb's taste.. This recipe belongs to CMG.. according to him if u want ur steamed fruit cake to be moist and oily.. its best to keep it for a week bef serving it.. so ok.. thats exactly what I am gonna do to the rest of this cake.. err maybe can keep it for Eid ?? duhhh why on earth am I thinking abt Eid already! hahaha
I've cut a few slices for photo taking aka testing and hb said he prefers the taste of this cake but much much prefers the moist and wetness of the other steamed fruit cake.. will definitely let him try a week fm today and see what he says.. I am hoping to use both recipes for Eid tho since I hv to bake it for grandmama too this year - she wants her cake not to be too sweet.. ok Nyai.. I will bake one especially for u - less sugar of cos hehehe
375g mix fruits
250g butter - "Golden Churn"
1 tsp of sodium bicarbonate*
1 tsp cream of tartar*(* mix and sifted)
3 grade A eggs
150g castor sugar (can also use the 'brown sugar') - i used brown sugar
150g sugar (for sugar burn)
1/4 cup almond slices (almond flakes) - I didnt use
A seed nutmeg, grated
Cherry red / green for decorations - didnt use
1 tbsp black treacle (I added for darker colour)
Meet my new addition - Mr Scrapper - no spatula needed anymore - this baby works like a charm!
- Boil water in kukusan (steamer). Grease and layer with baking paper an 8x8x3 inches.
- Mix flour with cream of tartar and soda bicarbonate - sieve.
- Add in grated nutmeg seeds and mix well.
- Add mix fruits in the flour, mix well. This is to avoid fruits fm sinking - Set aside.
- Beat butter & sugar until fluffy.
- Add in black treacle - mix well (I added)
- Add in egg one by one & continue to whisk till well combined. (add in egg and whisk for a minute bef adding the second egg)
- Add in flour/fruits mixture until just mixed.
- Melt sugar in a non stick pan with slow heat until bubble starts to form.. let it bubble for a few sec or till sugar colour turn dark
- Quickly but carefully pour into the cake mixture while stirring with wooden spatula.
(It will get harden once it touches batter, so fold in fast.. dont worry if there is some crystallised caramel in the batter).
- Pour batter into baking tin.. arrange cherries if u like.. cover with aluminium foil, trim and tie with string or plastic ropes all around the tin.
- Steam for 4hrs on medium heat.. (on high for 2 1/2hr.. medium for 1 1/2hr)
(whenever u wanna add water to ur steamer make sure u use boiling water)
Thank you CMG for sharing this wonderful and controversial recipe.. aaahakksss!