This is another one of the 'talk abt' aka one of the famous cakes among the indon food bloggers..(panasaran kata nya dgn cake ini.. yahhh ku cobain deh hari ini hehehe) original recipe is fm Teh Eceu.. u shud check out her blog.. her cake decor and piping skills.. woweeeeee... My piping skill = sucks big time! Anyway hb likes it alot and said its delicious and very filling..
I've halved the original cake recipe and used an 18cm round pan instead cos this cake is actually one of my trial & error cakes for this weekend - heheh someone is getting engaged ey :opp
Ingredients (1/2 recipe - 18cm)
1/2 tbsp Emulsifier
70 gr flour
30g g Cocoa Powder (I used Valrhona)
40g Dark Cooking Chocolate (Valrhona 64%)
50g Margarine - melted (I used unsalted butter)
- Preheat oven 170C
- Heat butter until melted, add in cooking chocolate and stir.. let it cool - set aside
- Whisk eggs and sugar until fluffy.
- Add emulsifier.
- Add in sifted flour and cocoa powder into batter and continue to whisk till combined.
- Lastly add in melted butter/chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Divide the batter into the prepared cake pan (18cm) smoothen the top, and bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool cake layers completely.While the cake is baking and cooling, make the filling, syrup, and ganache.
See the slight dent on top of my cake?? heheh my cake slid and droped on the edge of my wire-rack! grrr
250ml Fresh Cream/ double cream/ whipping cream (I used double cream)
250g Dark Cooking Chocolate (I used mixture of 64% valrhona and 45% dark chocolate that i bought in Vienna)
- Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl.
- Heat the cream until it just begins to boil. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Let stand one minute, then stir .. Add in butter and continue to stir until smooth. Clingwrap ur bowl and let it sit in a chiller for at least 3hrs.
- Once u are ready to spread ganache on ur cake.. whisk chilled ganache for a few minutes and its ready to be used.
25ml of water (1)
50 ml water (2)
Heat sugar with water (1) over fire (cook until it turns caramelized)
Add water (2) into the caramel mixture, cook and stir until caramel melts and blended. Turn off heat, cool
(I heated up the sugar.. waited till it created bubbles and slightly burnt bef adding water 1 & 2)
To assemble the cake:
Remove the cake layers from the pan and cut cake into 2 layers in horizontally, using a serrated bread knife.
Set the first cake layer on a cake plate. Spread simple sugar syrup over it which u can easily do by cooking 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/2 cup of water. Then spread caramel syrup and ganache (1cm thick) over the cake layer, making sure it reaches to the edges. Set another cake layer on top.
Spread ganache on the sides and top then pipe a decorative border around the top.
Anyway guys.. enjoy the cake and recipe: Was hard work to get and translate the recipe and just as hard to bake the cake as it has a few steps.