Menu

Devil's Food Chocolate Cake





Every cake has its story... This recipe was recommended to me by Edina of Adorable cupcakes.. she left a comment on my Donna Hay brownie cheesecake entry and told me that I shud gv this recipe a try .. well today I decided to bake it.. started out baking this cake in an 8" cake pan and while its in the oven.. I began preparing the cheese frosting and ganache..








Once baked and cooled down.. I sliced the cake into two layers.. sandwiched it with cream cheese frosting, a thin layer of ganache and slice strawberries before placing another layer of cake.. I coated the whole cake with cream cheese.. let it set for a few minutes and poured the rest of the ganache on the cake.. now so far everything went as planned.. I was pretty excited to see the outcome and knew that this cake was gonna be a big hit.. for whatever reason... without even thinking.. I decided to move my cake to another plate and while doing that my cake slid out and landed on the other plate!! I was like.... geeeshhhhh!! didnt know what to do... the bottom layer broke into two! I was close to tears.. I shud hv waited a little longer till the frosting was set bef moving it.. I shud hv handled it with more care.. I shud.. I shud... :(((








I quickly took my wide cake spatula.. moved it to my flan dish.. poured the remaining ganache to cover the whole flan (thank goodness i had like 1/4 remaining ganache).. topped it with sliced strawberries and placed it in the fridge... phewwww








Was Edi right recommending me this recipe?? was it worth all the effort?? OH YESSSS!!!.. she was right when she described this cake as pure awesomeness! this cake is simply divine.. very rich in flavor.. moist and ohhhh so so yummy .. thank you Edi... I will definately be baking this cake again and again and of cos I will handle it with much more care too hehehhe



Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder (i used valrhona)
3/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 tsp salt (i used 1/2 tsp)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (i used light brown sugar)
65 gram butter ( i used unsalted butter)
1 large egg - size A
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk (i used fresh milk and added lemon juice)
1/2 cup warm water


Methods
Preheat oven at 170C .. greased cake tin (i used 8".. next time i will use 7")
Sieve flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate soda, salt, and set aside.
Beat butter with sugars until light and fluffy, add egg.
Add dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder etc) alternately with liquid ingredients (buttermilk + warm water) in three portions
Add vanilla extract and continue to mix till well blended
Bake for about 30 minutes or until just cooked


Cream Cheese Frosting
250 g cream cheese (room temp)
125 g butter (room temp)
1 cup icing sugar - sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
juice of a squeezed slice of lemon, to rid the cheese taste

Beat cream cheese and butter, just until creamy, add the icing sugar, vanilla and lemon juice.


Chocolate Ganache
200 ml double cream with at least 30% fat content (i used Millac - 38% fat)
250 g dark chocolate, chopped finely (i used valrhona - 70%)
a pinch of salt

In a double boiler, warm double cream until just at boiling point, add chopped chocolate and salt and stir, when all chocolate is melted, remove from the heat and continue stirring until all well mixed.

Cool cake completely, spread the cream cheese frosting and pour cool ganache on top.



30 comments:

Unknown said...

eh eh ........................... droolz ... sedapnye!!!! ... i still haven recover from my cough so no cake ar ... tapi gambar nie betol tak leh tahan ...

Yat Maria said...

Ni if I bake & nak makan (bila tu?????)...akan ku pakai apron & bib tau!!! sebab bila cake cam ni..ku sungguh tak sopan bila makan..ngalahkan those kids...so tu yg nak kena pakai apron & bib ya...harap maklum... ;)

hana said...

wowww! mmg btol devil nihh! kalau ai dpt makan camni kompom non stop sampai licin loyang! huwarghhhhh!! pejam mata dululah!

SurayaCoghlan said...

sunguh tak sesuai org dalam pantang tengok blog u ni rima..hehehe.

Edi said...

hye rima,
u made me telan air liur la tengok your photos :P
anyway glad u've tried it and loved it! and the layering idea is great! just be careful not to slip again, tp takpe, ade alasan nak menjilat pinggan :D
this recipe is sure a keeper :)

happy baking!

Rima said...

Ilah
Belum baik baik?? lahh kesian nye.. i advise u makan cake lebih lebih sure boleh baik one.. hehehe


Yat
Eh if like that sure hv to use bib ah.. nanti tak cun pulak bila tudung and baju semua dirty.. macam kita makan tulang.. harus cuma makan dirumah aje ye puan puan.... hehehhe


Hana
Dah licin pun kah kah kah.. bukan ape.. benda yg sedap harus di share share... Barney says - sharing is caring hehehe


Edi
Errr how did u know i jilat si pinggan tu?? macam ade teropong si mamat lah u ni hahahha.. ty ty for sharing this wonderful recipe.. sedap nye tak boleh angs :o)


Sue
I kok tak tahu dalam pantang tak leh makan desert... lahhh patut pun susah bangat nak slim down.. dah langgar pantang rupanye kita ni hehehe

Anonymous said...

mmmmm dah try memang sedap betul. semoga tuhan memurahkan rezeki anda kerana sudi share resipi yg superb. Thanks a million

Rima said...

Hi anonymous
well done!! Sedap kannnn .. Moga doa mu terkabul.. Amin..

Psst: may i know ur name?? Easier for me to bertegur sapa hehe

Anonymous said...

just call me kak aida from M'sia.

Rima said...

Ty kak aida.. Happy baking!

KG said...

yes, for makan i'd go for valrhona, but i can only find valrhona bars here, tell me where in spore i can get valrhona cocoa powder, tqs.

Rima said...

KG
You can get valrhona cocoa powder fm Sun Lik kat Seah St or fm Shermay kat Holland.. i think u can also find it kat ION, Orchard.. cuma tak ingat ape that speciality store name is.. all places sells the valrhona chocolate too.. I think Kitchen Capers sells only the chocolate and not the cocoa powder

Check it out bila u gi Sg ok..

Unknown said...

KG,

kat Haig Rd ade satu kedai for baking stuff kat situ ade jual.
valrhona cocoa powder $18.50
valrhona bar $18.80

Unknown said...

KG,

kat Haig Rd ade satu kedai for baking stuff kat situ ade jual.
valrhona cocoa powder $18.50
valrhona bar $18.80

melmisha said...

Rima - kalau just buat cake tu and then pour the choc ganache je boleh tak? nk spread2 cream cheese nie...aduh... dah lah i nie keras tangan....

Rima said...

Terpulang pada u Melmisha.. but this cake memang seharusnye makan dgn cheese baru lah ade oommmppphhhhh haha

Tak yah deco lah.. just bake the cake.. lapis with cheese then pour ganache..

melmisha said...

Hi Rima,

Tried out the cake over the weekend - it was really yummy!! tapi.. i didnt get the texture like i wanted.. yg mcm u punya tu lah... mcm moist... and also... still tak dapat jugak kaler yg blackish brownish tu .;. could that be due to the type of cocoa powder used?

Rima said...

Hi Melmisha
Dah lama tak buat kek ni.. if u wanna get that blackish brownish u hv to use a better quality cocoa powder.. i used valrhona every single time a recipe calls for cocoa powder :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rima,

Been a great follower of yr blog..simply lurve yr bakes..& finally I tried making this cake today! Its awesome!!My family luv it!!! Tks for sharing the recipe!!

Rosie

Sharina said...

Hi there Rima!
I just found your blog and have been following it ever since. I have tried your recipe for the moist butter cake and have gotten great reviews from mum (she LOVVES butter cake!). Will definitely try other recipes!

printha said...

Helloo Rima,
I tried this recipe last weekend and it's awesome!! I call it chessy choc evil..haha. Many thanks to you for sharing it. Have a great day and Hi to your sweety Sonia :)

Rima said...

To Rosie, Syarina and Printha
Ty dearies for trying out this recipe.. this is one awesome recipe and it has never failed to impress my guest.. do bake it again ok.. :O)

Anonymous said...

hi Rima :)

this is a suggestion je. hehe. to avoid the cake from terslip ke tepi kan, you can use lidi satay tu. cucuk atas cake sampai dalam and you can move it to another plate. hehe. what do you think? :)

Lynn

Shal said...

Dear guruG,
I made this cake lst friday for my sis bday cake. I doubled the recipe, since my mom bt makan2. My uncle also bwk cake frm equtorial hotel, btw he's a chef thr. And both cake is a winner, Alhamdulillah everyone loves it!. Kecut perut jgkla i ni takut cake ku x laku.

And i rasa perut i pun dh mengempis since bt cake ni. Mana tak nye i ni dhla amature, masa nk assemble cake ni, i dok teringat kata2 mu "the cake slip..." bermain2 ni mindaku. So masa letak cream cheese i tahan nafas, spread the cheese tahan napas, pour ganache tahan napas, letak lapis cake on top of the ganache lagi la tahan nafasss. So balancela kan masa mkn kek ni bcoz i dah buat sit up awal2 lagik kwang...kwang...

This fri im gonna mk it again for my cousin's since i still hv the balance of ganache n cream cheese + my mom's maid complaint dia x sempat rasa my cake oppp... Btw jasamu ku kenang k for this resipi n also edina

Rima said...

Shal
lahhhh kesian nye.. tak sangka statement ku yg "the cake slip" mengempis kan perut mu but kan.. thats good right?? hahaha

Glad laku banget cake mu... eversince that day cake ku tak slip lagi cos lepas incident itew ku berhati hati and since then.. this cake menjadi pujaan ramai.. memang sedap and worth the effort..

Harus double the recipe of the cake cos kejadian dia memang untuk kek kecil.. cream cheese dia tu harus di half kan recipe..

Happy baking dear!

Edi said...

Shal, lepas ni u boleh lawan uncle u yg chef tu :)
i pun byk kali dah buat.. everyone loves it... i love it too!

frizzkiss said...

hi kak rima..

love this chocolate devils cake! i dah buat 2 kali kak..suka suka suka!!!sampai ade org nak order kek ni..hehheheheh i pakai acuan love shape kak...thanks for sharing kak rima..

Rima said...

memang shiok kan cake ni.. tak mungkin jelak one..

jacquisbakingsomething said...

Hi Rima,

Does buttermilk make this cake moist?
In some of your recipes that call for milk, can I sub it with buttermilk? Would it cause the cake to taste differently?

Thanks
Jacqui

Rima said...

am sorry for my MIA.. i am not too sure.. usually i will stick to the recipe that i see online.. but yeah.. buttermilk make cake moist

About Me

My photo
Hi.. I am a SAHM to 2 kiddoes..19yr old boy n 2 year old girl.. met my Austrian hubby here in Singapore and hv been living here all my life... my love for baking started when i was 6mths preggie to my daughter, Sonia... my addiction to baking has not stop eversince.. I hope to learn as much as i can abt baking and decorating and then share it with u along the way..