I think for the next couple of days.. i will hv to settle with a short entry.. Ever since we got Sonia a new bedroom set she has not been sleeping well.. maybe shes not used to the smell.. new mattress and so forth.. she refuses to sleep in her bedroom (well she usually will wake up in the middle of the night to sleep with us)... except during her afternoon nap.. weird .. i know! After her last milk, she will pretend to close her eyes and when i put her down, she will start to cry.. so in the end my only free time to update my blog (which is after 10pm of cos) is used to put her back to sleep .. sigh...
Sooo anyway, yesterday hb was "kind" enough to let me hv the car again.. was out the whole day.. took Sonia to Vivo city to shop for new clothing.. met Lyn for a quick lunch.. I also managed to squeeze a bit of time to go to the florist to get my weekly fresh flowers.. by the time i was done with that it was time for me to fetch hb fm work... time flies too fast and guess what?? i get tired very easily nowadays... even driving makes me feel tired.. i think its the lack of sleep, weather maybe or a sign of old age?? muahahahaa
Whatever it is, last night i managed to prepare the first part of two long winded cakes.. why long winded?? too many steps lol.. I baked pandan sponge cake and also baked cheesecake (this cheesecake needs to be refrigerated for a night before the next step)
Its a repeat telecast cake for both but since i hv not baked them for almost a year, i thought its high time i make use of my cake ring again.. will load photos (yucky photos - too tired) and recipe of pandan kaya cake first and will do the cheesecake entry tomorrow.. so here goes!
Ingredients for cake:
250 gm. Optima flour or sponge cake mix flour
3 Tbsp. Pandan juice (i used milk)
a little green pandan paste or green colouring (1tsp each)
3 Tbsp. Thick coconut milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. cornoil
900 ml. Coconut milk (i used 400g KARA, thick coconut cream and add 500g water)
9 Tbsp. Hoen kwee flour / green pea flour (85g)
1 Tbsp. Instant Jelly Powder (ran out of this so i used 1/2 tbsp of jelly powder)
1/2 tsp. salt
a little green colouring
a little pandan paste
180 gm. sugar
60 gm. Dessicated coconut for covering cake (didnt use cos no one likes it)
Method for cake:
(1) Whisk optima flour and eggs till light.
(2) Add pandan juice and continue to beat till fluffy.
(3) Add green colouring and pandan paste.
(4) Fold in coconut milk and corn oil and mix till combined.
(5) Pour into a 9" round cake tin and bake at 175C for about 40 to 45 mins. or till skewer inserted comes out dry.
(6) Slice on wire rack to cool before slicing into 3 or 4 slices , your preference.
Method for pandan Kaya:
(1) Put all the ingredients into a pot and stir till evenly mixed.
(2) Cook over medium heat till mixture thickens and smooth.
(3) Place a slice of sponge cake into a cake ring, pour in some kaya and continue the same process till the last layer is covered with pandan kaya.
(4) Leave aside to cool and set before chilling in the fridge.
(5) Remove cake from cake ring and cover the whole cake with dessicated coconut. (i used hair dryer to blow hot air around cake ring to loosen cake)
(6) Slice and serve chilled.
For pandan kaya, i bring to boil, water, sugar and jelly powder. In another bowl i mix coconut cream, salt and hoen kwee flour and stir till mixture smooth. Once combined, i added it to sugar mixture and continue to cook over low heat till mixture thickens and smooth (use hand whisk ok)
Source: Aunty Yochana
Source: Aunty Yochana