Black Forest and Orange Mecan Swiss Roll
Dont you just love it when u hv a simple weekend... I love love love to just chill on weekends... ya know... take a breather... just relax... we did go out for a wee bit of time... did our typical grocery shopping and also went to my fav bakery supplies shop to get my baking stuff... soooo I am now ALONE at home... yipppiiieeee... Sonia and papa have gone out to look at kites... bless them.. love them to bits but sometimes its nice to be alone at home for a change! heheh
Last night I baked two types of swiss rolls... both are so easy to make and most importantly.. you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry. It's light and airy. So light and airy that I ate 3 pcs of these in one sitting... oppsss
BLACK FOREST SWISS ROLL
6 eggs (grade A)
4 oz sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbs ovalette
3 oz flour
* 1/2 oz cocoa powder
* 2 tbsp fresh milk (I used 2tbsp of milk powder)
* 1 tsp chocolate emulco/paste
1/4 tsp salt
4 oz melted butter (I used unsalted butter)
100gm whipping cream (whip till creamy)
Pitted blueberry or blueberry filling (i didnt hv .. used cherry filling instead)
Sieve cocoa powder and flour into mixing bowl. Add in the rest of the ingredients except melted butter. Beat at high speed for abt 7 mins or till fluffy.
Pour in melted butter and stir lightly.
Pour into a 10" x 10" tray and bake at 175C for about 15 mins. (i used 2 trays of 9x9")
Remove from oven and leave to cool.
Mix the pitted cherries syrup and brush on top of the swiss roll.
Spread a layer of fresh cream on top of the swiss roll.
Lay a row of pitted cherries at the edge of the swiss roll and add chocolate rice on top.. roll up. Refrigerate till the swiss roll is set.
Slice & Serve chilled.
ORANGE MECAN ROLL
120 gm. melted butter
8 nos. egg yolks
4 nos. egg white
80 gm. fine sugar
75 gm. plain flour
30 gm. milk powder
1 tsp. Ovalette
1/2 tsp. chocolate emulco
1/2 tsp. coffee oil (I used coffee emulco)
1/2 tsp. orange emulco
A drop of orange colouring (optional)
Butter cream or Jam for spreading (I used Nutella)
(1) Beat egg yolks, egg white, sugar, flour, ovalette and milk powder together until thick and fluffy.
(2) Pour in melted butter and mix till thorouly mixed.
(3) Scoop out 2 ladle spoonful of batter into a bowl. Add in chocolate paste and coffe oil and stir till well mixed. Place into a piping bag.
(4) Add in orange emulco and orange colouring into the balance batter and divide into 2 portions. Pour into 2 - 10" x 10" square trays.
(5) Pipe patterns onto the orange batter, write the letter "C" on top.
(6) Bake at 190C for about 12 mins.
(7) Leave it to cool.
(8) Spread Butter cream or jam on top and roll tightly. Leave it in the fridge to set and then slice.
Sources: Aunty Yochana and Rinnchan Fotopages