Moist Butter Cake
For the past couple of days... Sonia has been having problems sleeping in her own room at night.. I would feed her milk and when its time for me to put her to bed she would start to cry.. hmmm we ended up putting her in between us on our bed instead :o(
On a lighter note.. during day time.. shes been napping between 3 to 4hrs every single day.. touch wood! but I kinda like it cos it gives me ample time to do housework, cook and at the same time bake not one BUT two cakes mind you! hehehe... I likeeeee
Anyhow this was the first cake that I managed to bake.. For sure, there are countless butter cake recipes out there that are tried and tested and taste super. This recipe yields a moist, buttery cake that is not too oily and heavy. Just the way it shud be.. well to me at least!
195g all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
170g unsalted butter, softened
225g sugar (I use 200g)
1 large egg, plus one large egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
12 tbsp whole milk
A splash of cognac if you have some in the house! (i omit)
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. Butter and line a 9-inch cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Using a mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until fluffy for about about 2 minutes.
4. Beat in egg, egg yolk and vanilla until well-combined.
5. On low speed, add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk.
6. Switch mixer to medium and beat for 10 to 15 seconds, just until batter appears
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula or knife.
8. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until it a skewer comes out clean.
9. Leave to rest in pan for 5 minutes before serving.