I reaaalllyyy need to go to Sun Lik to get my baking essential.. running out of all sort of flour... plus with no butter in hand, i feel incomplete!
Soo today i hv no choice but to bake something that uses corn oil.. i know i know i can always bake muffin, sponge cake or even swiss roll with oil but thought i shud practice baking chiffon instead.. u see i hardly get to bake chiffon cos hb is not a big fan of spongy cake.. so my chiffon baking skill is still not that good? well today's chiffon turns out much much better than i expected.. i decided to bake mocha chiffon this time round simply cos i hv been baking pandan chiffon all this while...
Tho i love the texture, airy and fluffyness of this recipe .. i dont really like how the marbling effect turns out... maybe next time i shud try to marble it like how i did when i bake zebra cake...
4 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt
40g corn oil
50ml fresh milk (room temp)
1/2 tsp vanilla paste / essence
75g sieved cake flour (sieve)
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
10g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp mocha paste
This is the type (brand) of paste that i hv been using all this while... alot more concentrated... dont know if u can get it here tho cos i got mine fm Indonesia..
1. Mix all ingredients in the chocolate paste together and double boil till sugar dissolved and you get a homogeneous chocolate mixture. Sieve chocolate mixture if lumpy. Leave aside for use later.
2. Cream egg yolks, vanilla, salt and sugar till creamy.
3. Add in the oil, milk and mix till well-combined.
4. Sieve in the flour and mix till batter is lump-free.
5. Beat egg white with electric beater until big bubbles formed. Sprinkle in cream of tartar and beat until it is white in colour. Add in 40g sugar 3 times (a little at a time) and beat till stiff perks formed.
6. Pour 1/2 egg white into flour mixture in (4) and blend well.
7. Pour flour mixture into the rest of the egg white and fold till just blended. Remove 1/4 of the batter and mix it with the chocolate paste, blend well.
8. Pour the 2 batters into ungreased tube pan using your imagination and create your own marble effect. Bake at 170 - 180C for 35 - 45 minutes or till cooked.
9. Invert the cooked cake during cooling process.
NOTE: I used a 22cm tube pan... if ur using anything below 18cm tube pan, use 3 egg yolks and 4 egg whites... viel glueck!
Sources: my home cooking blog and all that matters