Wanna hear an eerie story?? this happened late last night.. around 11 o'clockish.. i had just put sonia to bed and while in the loo i smell a funny smell that comes out of our room... i walked outside (hb was downstairs watching telly) and went straight to our study room and cud smell something sweet... u know that super super sweet smell? malay called it "kemenyan".. the smell were so so strong that i got cold-shivers-down-my-spine!... i recite "ayat kursi" and quickly ran downstairs and asked hb if he cud smell something... he said "yeah, i closed the back door and the kitchen door so that the smell wont come into the living room" hahha... duhhh hes so so naive! i told him that its the "kemenyan" smell... and being thursday night and close to midnight, i got really really scared... both of us decided to check if there were something or whatever at the back of the house... nothing on the left... nothing on the right... we looked at one another and as if we understood each other.. ran back into the kitchen... closed the door behind us and sat on our sofa! hahaha to be honest, it was scary and funny at the same time.. the smell still lingers around for almost half an hour or so bef it disappear... hmmm
Anyway my plan to prepare donut dough earlier went after midnight... started preparing dough close to 1am and was done within half an hour... thats the thing abt this recipe.. u can get it done quick! very very easy, no hassle, just mix and cut and fry... u dont even hv to let it proof if u dont hv the time... the texture of the donut is soft, very fluffy, light and delish!
I prepared it last night, half fried it and keep it in a container... deep fried it this morning and wallaaa ... we hv donut for breakfast!! hehhe... recipe fm HaSue...
500g high protein flour (i used half bread flour and half all purpose flour)
1 packet of instant yeast (11g)
50g Margarine (i used unsalted butter)
1 tbsp Shortening
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp condense milk or milk powder
1 egg (mix)
1/2 tsp salt
190 - 200ml warm water
Fine sugar for coating
1. In a big bowl, add warm water, yeast, sugar, milk, margarine and shortening and stir using spoon lightly and let it rest for 8-10 mins.
2. Once yeast mixture starting to bubble, add half of sifted flour into bowl, add egg and salt too... continue to stir using spoon (in one direction)
3. Once mixture incorporated and not sticking to ur spoon, add another half of the sifted flour, mix lightly with spoon and quickly continue to knead dough using ur hand till dough no longer sticking to the bowl (u will know if dough is ready when ur dough no longer stick to ur fingers)
4. U dont hv to let dough rest but if u want a much much more rounder donut, u may do so for 5 to 10 mins
5. Roll dough to abt 1/2" thick and cut with donut cutter
6. Heat oil and deep fry donut on medium heat till golden brown (if u prefer a much more fluffier, do rest it for 10mins or so, the more lighter ur donut is, the more fluffier it will be)
7. Once cool, coat donut using fine sugar or melted chocolate..